Sunday, 18 November 2007

I... Am... Blogging!

Went to see Beowulf yesterday. Not a big Zemeckis fan, nor much of an automatic-rush-out-and-watch-any-CGI-movie guy either (no matter how good everyone I know keeps telling me Ratatouille is, I think I'd still rather shit out one of my own kidneys than sit though the damn thing). However, I loved the epic poem from my childhood and figured it'd be a diverting waste of a Saturday afternoon. Besides, it turns out that it's cheaper to go to the IMAX than almost any other cinema in London, so what the Hell?

Anyway, long story short, you don't need to make a particularly good film for it to be enjoyable on an IMAX-sized screen in full-on 3D. That said, Beowulf manages a hugely enjoyable thrash through the story - albeit in sort of a join-the-dots way. Predictably, a load of stuff has been altered, removed or crowbarred in to make the fiction suit the format, but I had a good time with it. Ray Winstone does one of the better triumphant bellows I've heard, standing up well to my last IMAX experience, 300. His non-shouty dialogue didn't work quite so well, but people got ripped apart, blood flew and a couple of the kids in the audience started crying. Couldn't ask for more than that, really.

It'll be interesting to see how well it holds up on a TV screen in 2D, but I'll certainly lay down some cash for it when the DVD comes out.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up on this. I was going to see it when it's released here anyway, but it's certainly a relief to hear that it is worthwhile viewing.

    I'm not too sure I will get to see it on the IMAX screen though, unfortunately by the sounds of it. Too many people in that part of town and I hate crowds and queues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know what you think when you do see it. This was the first time I'd seen a full-length 3D film, so I was a bit boggled by the sheer spectacle of it for the first several minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "albeit in sort of a join-the-dots way"

    I think this pinpoints the only problem I found in the movie.

    It needed some filling-in to allow the story to flow more smoothly, although it was still easy to follow by filling in the missing bits mentally yourself, I guess.

    Of course, the CGI was fantastic and the action sequences were awesome. I would perhaps liked to have seen a little more man vs man combat but that's just a personal thing, the lack of it didn't detract from the movie at all.

    It was quite refreshing to see the blood and gore, the violence and the sexual images and references....I was initially a little worried that this movie might be devoid of these elements...I was pleasantly surprised though.

    I think a great job was done with the grotesqueness of Grendel and the power and awe of Beowulf's mystical son. The later really did provide some breath taking and tense scenes while the former gave some great violence in his horrific actions, two monsters well worth the slaying :)

    I wish that it were possible to have seen it on the IMAX as well.

    All in all, a good movie and one which I will buy for my collection.

    ReplyDelete

google-site-verification: google0d3d5d05cce73118.html