Saturday, 5 January 2008

Ducks in a Row

Right, then.

We're already several days into next year and I'm just about finished sweeping away the residual life-crap of the last one. Looking back, I have to say I've had a bit of a stormer. I begin 2008 with stuff to write, stuff to pitch and, within a few weeks, the all-important stuff on the shelves. Long story short, no complaints.

I've got one more episode of Extinction Protocol to write for Signs & Portents - the latter half of the two-part finale to the series - and then that's done. I've had a great time on the story over the last year and a half, and I've been well treated by Mongoose Publishing every step of the way. As detailed elsewhere, Mongoose and their Starship Troopers Miniatures Game have been key factors in getting my foot in the door of the comics business, so I'm looking forward to the grand relaunch of the line later this year. I've also dug my old playtesting hat out of the games cupboard for the new edition, and so far things are looking very promising.

Next up, I've got to make some final decisions on the Comics Village column thing, write an intro for the trade paperback release of Starship Troopers: Bad Blood and put together a review for David Neighbors' rather wonderful "Coinjurer" DVD.

That last one probably deserves a little explanation. In a former life, I once made a living as, for want of a less awful term, a "professional" magician. It's not something I bring up a lot because, frankly, who the fuck would want to admit to that? It's bad enough being one of those crazy, maladjusted comics people, but a crazy, maladjusted comics person who does magic? You might as well tattoo "Low Art Fanatic" on your forehead as far as the world in general is concerned. Never mind that some of the greatest figures in so-called "geek" history have also been notable magicians (Jim Steranko, anyone? Walter Gibson, even?). Hell, Steranko's about as close to a Rock God as a comics guy could get - but mention the Steranko Lateral Palm to a comics reader and you'll get a blank stare, a quick subject change or, on occasion, a dry slap.

Anyway, to get back on-topic for a moment, David Neighbors is one of the top coin magicians in the world, and I'm reviewing one of his DVDs. That's all anyone needs to know for now.

That's pretty much it, to be honest. No doubt, somewhere along the line, some thought will be going into the trivialities of making a living as a freelance writer and editor, but for now I'm content to let Future Cy worry about that so I can get on with the stuff that's actually important.

Happy New Year, guys!

2 comments:

  1. That's a fairly large workload you have there.....an enjoyable workload though I suspect :)

    Just out of interest, is the "Coinjurer" DVD a review for a yet unmentioned magazine or some magic website blog or something else ? In any case, it's nice recognition that you've been asked to pen it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to hear from you as always, ASD.

    The Coinjuror DVD is just something David Neighbors asked me to do, whether I liked the DVD or not (which is an important point). A couple of years ago, I bought a piece of magical apparatus that came with an instructional DVD. I liked it a lot and put up a review on a magic site. David Neighbors, who had made the DVD, saw the review and asked if he could repost it in a couple of other places. In fact, that review still crops up in Google if you search for my name.

    Anyway, I got the Coinjurer DVD recently, and David emailed to say that he'd welcome a review of it. As it turns out, it's really good, but I can say with all honesty that if I'd disliked it I would have said so in the review.

    That's how I roll. :)

    ReplyDelete

google-site-verification: google0d3d5d05cce73118.html