Monday, 12 May 2008

BCE Report Day Two: Con-catenation


Yup, today was pretty much everything it was cracked up to be. My friends Ferret, Tet and Robin showed up early and were a great source of moral support throughout the whole day. It honestly makes a huge difference going into one of these things with a couple of allies. Nic, of course, was her usual fantastic self.

Got an interesting mix of freebies in this year's giveaway bag. Everything from a history of the city in graphic novel form to a Heroclix Batman model. With a little judicious weeding, Nic and I sorted out the stuff we wanted to keep and kept our luggage-hauling to a minimum.

Finally got to meet Stephen Downey, the artist on Cancertown, face-to-face. Get this: the guy spent most of the convention sitting behind the Insomnia stand, actually working on the art for the next chapter! Now, that's an impressive level of concentration! He's a great guy with outstanding enthusiasm and talent. I know I've said it before, but I'm damn lucky to have fluked the chance to work with him. A year from now he's going to be well up in the big leagues.


The Insomnia stand seemed to be getting a lot of interest from the convention crowd, which can only be good news. Apparently, the 14-page Cancertown preview went down very well.

Also got a bit more information on the potential new gig I mentioned on Friday, Seems like a very intriguing project...

I checked out the Ardden Entertainment table, and got chatting to Richard Emms. Their Flash Gordon #0 is very impressive, and serves as a perfect vehicle for Paul Green's phenomenal art. They've been having a great deal of success with this so far, and I'm really excited to watch Paul's career continue to gather momentum. I still get a massive kick out of telling people that my Bad Blood story arc was his first published comic. Sadly, he wasn't able to make it to the convention, but I took every possible opportunity to spread the Paul Green legend to anyone who would listen.

Another potential gig fell into my lap today. All I can say right now is that I'm definitely going to be chasing this one...

Nic and I caught the Orang Utan panel, and had a great time there. These guys are really living the dream, having gone from a creators' collective to a full-blown publisher in no time flat. Great stuff.

Other notable players for the day included Tony Wicks and Martin Buxton, AKA Comics To Die For. These guys are producing some really interesting material, such as Last of the Chickenheads, Jack in the Box and the awesome Crowman. Check out Nic's reviews of some of their books on the Whatever Comics forum.

Ferret got talking to Bryan Talbot about the idea of using one of his designs for a quilt. He seemed intrigued, and quite open to the idea. If this comes to fruition (and no-one ever got rich betting against Ferret), it'll be a staggering piece.

I spent an hour or so on the Markosia stand, signing copies of Starship Troopers for anyone I could lock eyes with. I still find this a disorienting experience, and occasionally have to stop myself from going instinctively into my Svengali deck pitch from my days on the magic stalls at Hamleys. The Markosia guys are an absolute riot, and Harry Markos himself has just about the most determined and professional mind I've encountered in comics. I'm always impressed by people who have a clear idea what they want to accomplish, and then set out making it happen. Really nice guy, too.

Glenn Carter stopped by for a chat about Troopers while I was signing. He's written a couple of storming reviews for Bad Blood, so I was particularly pleased to see him. You can check out his assessments of issue #5 and issue #8 on the Comics Village website.


Can't leave off without mentioning Martin Fisher, a writer I met as a result of Insomnia's Layer Zero project. Martin's got a ton of ideas in his head and the drive to see them through. Definitely one to watch out for.

More later, including tales of Jim Starlin, David Lloyd and my very first podcast interview.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Cy,

    Thanks for the mention on the blog. Very kind of you.

    I'll see you at the London Expo on the Saturday. Guess I should buy all your issues of ST while I'm there and give them a read :)

    ReplyDelete

google-site-verification: google0d3d5d05cce73118.html