Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Food For Thought...

Al Schneider, one of my big heroes in magic, once wrote the following:

First there is a discussion about the importance of magic as a technology. I do not perceive myself as an artist but an engineer. The primary point of this discussion is that a magician must first be a technician then an artist. An artist can entertain but will not necessarily be a magician without studying magic as a technology.

As an exercise, try replacing the words "magic" and "magician" in that passage with "comics" and "comics storyteller".

Just a thought, really.

2 comments:

  1. Or, indeed, novel writing, acting, singing, playing an instrument...

    Concentrate on the craft. The art takes care of itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely.

    I wrote a story called "Remember This Moment" for Insomnia Publications' Layer Zero anthology a while back, and my central premise was that magic and storytelling are structurally related disciplines.

    I'm still very much learning my craft, and I'd like to think that I'll continue learning with every piece I write. Luckily, I've got an editor who's determined never to let me coast. The value of that is considerable. :)

    ReplyDelete

google-site-verification: google0d3d5d05cce73118.html