Friday, 11 July 2008

Cancertown: It's Out Of My Hands Now...

On Monday night, I completed the script for the final chapter of Cancertown: An Inconvenient Tooth. I've devoted a week of each of the last six months to writing this book around my non-comics work and, now that the scripts are all done, I'm starting to realise how much I'm going to miss it.

I've got plenty to keep me busy, at least. Starship Troopers is still about the most fun it's possible to have without a firearms licence, and I've got projects in development all over the place, any one of which might turn out to be the Next Big Thing for me. Cancertown does occupy a special place in my tiny, blackened heart, though. The original idea for it was born in a thunderstorm on the Isle of Wight, so it seemed fitting that the final chapter was completed in the middle of a lightning-fest of epic proportions on Monday.

We're apparently looking at a release date toward the end of the year for the book, and I've been repeatedly blown away by each new set of pages sent to me by the artist, Stephen Downey. I'm actually going to sneak out a preview at the bottom of this post, so you can see what the brilliant young scamp's been up to since Bristol. Seriously, this is an artist with a major future in comics.

There's already been talk of a second volume of Cancertown (and possibly some kind of companion book), and I'm more than up for it. Inconvenient Tooth was always intended as the first volume of a series, and I think there's a lot more potential to explore in there. I've already got the bones of the next volume assembled in my head, but we'll see how it all comes together if and when the time comes...

Meanwhile, I'm going to enjoy watching the art materialise for this first volume. Now, here's that quick preview I promised:

1 comment:

  1. "Thunderbolts and lightning, Cy is madly writing, see..."!

    Stephen's art just gets better and better.

    This page really took by breath away.

    And soon I will the first person in the world to own a page of original art from Cancertown.

    ReplyDelete

google-site-verification: google0d3d5d05cce73118.html