Friday, 22 August 2008

War Stories


Markosia's Starship Troopers ongoing series is composed of connected four-issue arcs, punctuated by one-shots to give breathing space and to expand the universe a bit. Some of these one-shots might feature guest writers, as Triple Threat did (okay, that was a "two-shot" but you see what I mean), but generally I'm a control whore and I'll be writing as much as I can myself.

This brings us to the War Stories. For my one-shot issues, I wanted to take a closer look at the backgrounds of some of the comic's recurrent characters - sort of a behind-the-scenes examination of what it takes to become a Mobile Infantry Pathfinder. I knew from the start that the first of these would have to be Private Tasch.

Some characters you spent a long time with - developing motivations, rounding out personalities and just generally knocking the corners off them. There are others, however, who simply fall into your skull out of a clear blue sky and introduce themselves. Naomi Tasch firmly belongs in the latter category. I'll try not to spoilerise my own comic too much for now, but suffice it to say that issue #11 of Starship Troopers is one that's close to my tiny, blackened heart.

As you can see from the cover image, the art on this issue is stunning. I've been really blown away by the art team of Neil Van Antwerpen and Peter-David Douglas, and I'm looking forward to working with them again in future.

There's more information on the War Stories page of my website.

2 comments:

  1. This is a really good idea. Adding more depth and understanding to your characters can only help to strengthen readers attachment to them, in my opinion, fantastic stuff and a very good move.

    Your right, the artwork is stunning, I really like the vicious looking snarl of the Neo-Dog. That's one solidly built dog that I wouldn't like to have to dance the tango with...

    ReplyDelete

google-site-verification: google0d3d5d05cce73118.html