Wednesday, 22 October 2008

Whatever Comics Turns Twenty

The Whatever Comics 20th anniversary celebration took place on Saturday and, as expected, it was a massive success. The big stars of the show were Laurence Campbell (whose stunning art can currently be seen in The Punisher) and Rob Williams (writer of Indiana Jones and the Tomb of the Gods), but minor leaguers like Nic and me weren't left out either.

I was very pleased that Orang Utan co-founder Ian Sharman managed to make it down with some copies of Eleventh Hour, which he dutifully signed. I've got a lot of time for Ian. He's one of those guys who can jump in and try his hand at anything. He writes, draws, colours, inks - basically he's the whole damn show. Nice guy, too.

A constant stream of requests for sketches and signatures had Laurence working pretty much constantly throughout the whole gig. Rob was kept similarly busy with copies of Indiana Jones and Wolverine: Blood and Sorrow. Laurence had donated an outstanding piece of original Punisher art, which ended up raising £244 as a raffle prize, the proceeds being given to the Pilgrims Hospice. Despite several attempts at corrupting the adjudicators, I failed to win.

After the doors closed there were several hours of pizza, cake and alcohol (or cola, in my case) upstairs. Also, unless I dreamed it in some kind of sugar/carb overload frenzy, we were treated to several snippets of a Spider-Man themed concept album, featuring Stan Lee as narrator. I'll look into that and get back to you.

Anyway, it was a great day. Whatever Comics has been the guardian of my pull list since 1990, and that's about the strongest recommendation I can think of.

You can find the official write-up of the event, along with some truly disturbing pictures, on the Whatever Comics site.

2 comments:

  1. It was great fun, and I am already working on Manny to make it an annual birthday celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...thanks Cy, high praise indeed coming from someone as talented as you.

    I was gutted that I couldn't stay for pizza and drinks but I had to get the sprogs home to bed, sorry!

    ReplyDelete

google-site-verification: google0d3d5d05cce73118.html