Friday, 1 May 2009

It's Here - Plus Our First Review!


I got my first look at the Cancertown trade on Wednesday, when it arrived by Special Delivery from Insomnia co-founder, Alasdair Duncan.

Happy doesn't begin to cover it.

The book's also just had its first official review, from Barry Nugent of the excellent Geek Syndicate podcast. Here's what he has to say:

Cancertown Comic Review

The short review is I bloody loved this graphic novel.

Cancertown was a complex, dark and twisted fantasy with a heavy noir feel to it. I think I need to read it again to make full sense of it all. Think Maltese Falcon crossed with Criminal Macabre and a dash of Alice in Wonderland…trippy as hell (God knows what sort of dreams I’m going to have tonight!). The art was great and it was only when I read some of the notes from Stephen Downey, the artist, that I realised the conscious decisions that were made in the way he portrayed the real world and Cancertown.

The hero (or anti-hero, take your pick) Vince Morley was an awesome character, part Sam Spade and part Cal MacDonald but all Brit. He’s not your friend and he’s not a guy you want to get on the wrong side of, but yet you can’t help but like the miserable trench coat wearing git.

I think one of the hardest things to do in writing, be it novel or comic, is creating believable characters with believable dialogue. This comic clears that hurdle with room to spare. I can only hope we see more of Cancertown and Morley in the future.

I tell you one thing, though, if this ever becomes a movie there’s no way I’m going to see it. There’s way too many messed-up images (giant eyes, I’m looking at you) for an easily freaked-out guy like myself. I worry for the sanity of the creators, given some of the crazy-ass monsters they’ve designed for this comic.

Seriously, though, pick this up as it’s one hell of a read, especially if you like the Cal MacDonald comics. There was also the added bonus of a behind-the-scenes look at the creation of the comic, which was a great little read in itself.

So to Cy Dethan, Nic Wilkinson, Stephen Downey and Melanie Cook, great job, guys!


Cancertown is released this month, and is available to pre-order from Amazon. Alternatively, you can always hassle Insomnia or your local comics dealer for a copy or, if you're coming to the Bristol International Comic Expo and the Small Press Expo 2009, you'll be able to pick it up at a special convention price at the show.

4 comments:

  1. It is sooooooooooo beautiful.

    Who is the King of Awesome?

    I think it is you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arghhhh So jealous! Why isn't mine here yet?!

    Stupid Irish Sea!!

    That quote looks awesome at the bottom doesn't it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not long now and I can get a copy......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I managed to get a sneak peak at a copy today, and boy does it look good. It feel substantial and well put together too, something I've come to appreciate in books.

    I can't wait to get my own copy so I can read it. The weekend seems so far away....

    ReplyDelete

google-site-verification: google0d3d5d05cce73118.html