Tuesday, 13 October 2009

"Oh, God! Mother - Blood! BLOOD!"

So, as those brave souls who dared to test their wits in the Citadel of Comics last week may have surmised, I have a new project to announce.

Gamebreaker, signed at this year's BICS by Insomnia Publications, is an insane, free-wheeling rampage of ninjas, gamblers and superspies. It's a story where no-one is who they seem to be, and hardly anyone is who they think they are. It's wild, chaotic and I love it in ways that are almost certainly illegal. Let me break it down for you:

Those who even remember the legend of Godmother Blood and her insane, megalomaniacal schemes consider her a myth. They’re right – and like all great myths there’s a potent, even dangerous, nucleus of truth at her core. When the greatest fictional villain of the Cold War emerges from retirement to reintroduce a disaffected world to the glorious chaos it once knew, she has only one target in mind – her nemesis, the ultimate superspy: Capablanca.

While long-term readers of this blog (yes, both of you) and anyone who's ever been pinned in a conversational corner by me at a convention will be aware, I have a deep suspicion of the Idiot Pitch (or "Elevator Pitch" as the real professionals call it) when applied to fiction. For me, taking the classic "Nutter Hunts Big Fish" as an example, any description that equally describes Herman Melville's symbolist allegory, Moby Dick and stupidest-movie-ever contender, Jaws 4: The Revenge is essentially meaningless.

That said, those who find these things helpful might want to take "Joe 90 Meets The Prisoner" as a starting point for Gamebreaker.

I don't want to spoilerise much further than that, but I'm beyond excited and I'll very likely be shooting my mouth off all over the London MCM and Thought Bubble this year.

That is, if I can even maintain a coherent stream of consciousness over the other piece of super-secret news I've been sitting on for the last month or so...

Oh, and one other thing: thanks to everyone who's commented on, written about or emailed regarding my Fighting Fantasy-style BICS convention report. I'm glad you all seemed to enjoy it so much. For reference, the "one true path" solution runs as follows: 1, 15, 7, 18, 10, 4, 16, 5, 19, 13, 2, 6, 8, 14, 12, 20.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder who will be first to crack the code in the numbers that make up the one true path.

    Money probably on Tet

    Let us see.

    ReplyDelete

google-site-verification: google0d3d5d05cce73118.html