Tuesday, 21 September 2010

No Sleep Till Brumcon (2010 Remix)

With a few weeks still to go, I'm starting to think about BICS.

The UK convention circuit is where I've landed most of the gigs I've had in comics - virtually all of them, in fact. Right now, I've got one graphic novel in print*, four more in production and a number of other credits to my name, so by and large I'd have to say that cons have been good for me.

Depending on how the timing goes on the production side, I may have some digital releases to shout about - and believe me, given the slightest provocation I will most definitely be shouting about them. I'll also be taking along about half a dozen new story treatments I've been putting together this month, and I'll be hooking up with various artists to talk them over. I'm going to talk Cancertown Volume 2 with Stephen Downey and attack guys like Simon Wyatt with ideas at every opportunity, and I'll be looking to meet new artists wherever possible.

In terms of what I'll actually be taking, I've got a heist/revenge story featuring a man who knows exactly what he'd owed and who has to pay, a postmodern punk spy thriller, a dual-reality/magic-realist paranormal fantasy, a deeply bizarre take on the retired gunslinger motif, a completely plausible scheme for setting up your own assassination bureau and the tale of a physical disease contracted via non-physical means. With most of these, this will be the first time I'll have spoken to anyone about them, so I'm looking forward to getting some critical feedback.

Primarily, though, BICS is about plugging back into the comics community for me. I tend to lock myself away from the internet while I'm writing. I'm an infrequent Twitterer at best, tend to keep Skype offline a lot and rarely even answer the phone during work hours. Basically, I'm just not that sociable when I'm writing - or rather, I'm far too easily drawn into distraction. Consequently, conventions are where I do the majority of my meeting and greeting in comics.

All of which is a long-winded way of saying that if you're going, I'll see you there!



*Well, technically out of print at the moment, but I'll keep you posted on developments there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

google-site-verification: google0d3d5d05cce73118.html