For Immediate Release.
Diamond Order Code: APR11 0745
When the multi-Eisner award winning writer/artist Bryan Talbot (Sandman, Fables, Batman, Grandville, 2000AD) says of a creator-owned graphic novel from British Independent publisher, Markosia:
“Cancertown will disorientate you, suck you in, chew you up and spit you out and you might well be in need of a change of underwear by the end.
“Don't say I didn't warn you."
It's time to sit up and take notice.
Cancertown is the story of Vince Morley, a man with big problems and a brain tumour like a baby's fist, who lives with one foot in a monstrous alternate world he calls Cancertown. When the lost and dispossessed of London start tripping over the same cracks in reality he spends his life avoiding, Morley realises he must confront the residents of Cancertown - and risk finding his place among them.
Written by Cy (Starship Troopers, Slaughterman’s Creed, The Indifference Engine) Dethan and pencilled by Stephen (Torchwood, Slaughterman’s Creed) Downey, Cancertown: An Inconvenient Tooth achieved a cult following on its UK print debut, and the digital version of the book consistently elbowed its way into top-ten status on the Sony PlayStation Network download charts, alongside its more respectable cousins from Marvel and DC.
Now the indie outsider hit that punched far above its weight is being released worldwide as a trade paperback in June 2011.
Harry Markos, the book’s publisher, says:
“I am delighted to have signed Cancertown. It is a great book with a solid and loyal following, so I am looking forward to working with the team in getting it out to a wider audience. We have big plans for it! Cy and the team have done a great job and they have already promised a sequel, Cancertown: Blasphemous Tumours, so we have exciting times ahead!”
A free preview of the first 14 pages is available to read at: http://tinyurl.com/6xzmejl, along with character sketches and additional background material.
Reviewers have said:
• "I described it to someone asking me what it was about as a "rip-roaring mindf***.”
John Freeman, Down The Tubes.
• "The book grabs you by the throat right from the start and drags you kicking and screaming into the vividly twisted world of Cancertown...what we have here is a well crafted, fantastical story that demonstrates what a comic book should be. I for one can't wait to read more tales from Cancertown.”
• "Cancertown: An Inconvenient Tooth is one of those rare treasures in its originality, well written and beautifully drawn... Cy Dethan has scripted an exceptional story and Stephen Downey's pencils are a joy, whilst colourist Melanie Cook captures the tone brilliantly. If you like horror stories mixed with detective novels you are going to love it."
Comic Shop Voice
• "The short review is I bloody loved this graphic novel... It was a complex, dark and twisted fantasy with a heavy noir feel to it...Think Maltese Falcon crossed with Criminal Macabre and a dash of Alice in Wonderland. Trippy as hell (God knows what sort of dreams I'm going to have tonight!)...Seriously though, pick this up as it’s one hell of a read."
Barry Nugent, The Geek Syndicate
• "The thought put into the story was exceptional, the heart between Bugfuck (not really her name) and her father was real and Vince's predicament is never far from his mind and he knows it. The twist behind the origins of the leaders of Cancertown wasn't something I was expecting. Essentially, Dethan put together a hell of a book."
• "Cancertown leaps out of the page at you, grabs you by the jugular and doesn’t let you go. Simply put, it’s weird, disturbing and any number of other words that you’d associate with horror. It is also compelling and, in the tradition of the best horror comics, has just the right mix of action, adventure and mystery thrown in to keep you guessing."
• “From the story itself to the art, colours, letters and the cover this is an all round, well plotted series. This story would work well as a Vertigo title and Markosia have found themselves a real gem... I can’t emphasise enough what an amazing story this is – perhaps it’s because I’m from the 2000AD generation, but I’m sure that our friends in the US would enjoy this too. For those of you who read Hellblazer and the like – read this now!”
Three Million Years
So what are you waiting for? Hurl yourself into its nightmarish shadow-world and meet its population of grotesques and maniacs.
"Remember - nothing here is real, and everything can hurt you."
• A free preview of the first 14 pages is available to read at: http://tinyurl.com/6xzmejl along with character sketches and additional background material.
• Cancertown is listed in April’s Previews catalogue on Page 218 - order code: APR11 0745
• For retail and press questions please contact email@example.com or visit the Markosia website at www.markosia.com
• For review copies please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
• Writer: Cy Dethan
Pencils: Stephen Downey
Colours: Mel Cook
Letters: Nic Wilkinson
• Published by Markosia Enterprises.