Tuesday, 16 August 2011

The Interactives - A Review


I'd been looking forward to the release of Peter Rogers and Luciano Vecchio's The Interactives ever since I first heard of it, so I was pleased to receive my copy directly from Pete this week. Like all of Markosia's paperbacks, it's a nicely produced book with strong binding and good quality printing.

That, I'd have to say, is where any similarity between this comic and any of my own ends.

If you're reading this blog at all, there's a reasonably high probability that you actually know me personally, or at least through my work. If you've read anything of mine, or spoken to me at any great length, you'll most likely understand that The Interactives, fundamentally, is a book that I couldn't have written. It is, in short, a story with a good heart.

For sure, it's got the balls-out monster slap-fights that we all want to see, with an enormous range of mythological entities on display. It has its quirky team dynamic down to a science and a set of characters that artfully straddle the line between the emblematic and the personally believable. The art is furiously imaginative, the colours (by the always phenomenal Yel Zamor) are glorious and the whole thing is basically just really enjoyable. It's good, clean fun.

So, yeah - The Interactives is a rewardingly weird ride with some top-class visuals, marrying social media modernity with a playful take on mythology in a way that shows a deep love of both and diminishes neither. There's even a very welcome bonus mini-comic at the back, drawn by Azim Akberali - whose work is, frankly, astonishing.

I'll give the final word to Big-Name Writer and Epic Welshman, Rob Williams, who describes The Interactives as "a story where imagination is both championed and revealed to be incredibly powerful."

The Interactives is available at the Markosia site right now.




No comments:

Post a Comment

google-site-verification: google0d3d5d05cce73118.html