Tuesday, 4 September 2012

"Now Where the Hell Was I?"

I'm having sort of a hard time believing that it's all over. Cancertown has been part of my life for so long now that it's difficult to process the fact that, as far as I can tell, it's finally done with me.

An Inconvenient Tooth was my first creator-owned book, and it came about at precisely the moment that something very important shifted in the way indie and small press books looked, and were looked at, on the UK convention circuit. Backed by what was at the time a blisteringly energetic, ambitiously innovative and fundamentally doomed publisher, and featuring a stunning endorsement from one of the true gods of the medium, we found ourselves with a launch profile far beyond anything we had any right to expect. Pretty much everything that's happened to me in comics since 2009 has happened because of Cancertown, which is why it feels so much like leaving home now.

With the first advance review copies out and Blasphemous Tumours now just inches away from its November launch date, it's all gone eerily quiet in the part of my head where Cancertown has squatted for the last several years. Something in there is holding its breath, and I've no idea what's going to happen when that pressure is finally released and Blasphemous Tumours explodes out into the world.
It's going to be lonely in here for a while, with Cancertown gone, but I welcome the silence. More than anything, I shudder to think what's going to slouch in to fill that hollow space when Vince Morley and his family of beautiful monsters are finally out there for good.

Thanks to Stephen Downey, Mel Cook, Nic Wilkinson, Graeme Howard, Peter Mason and Harry Markos. It's been beyond emotional.

See you on the other side...

Cancertown 2: Blasphemous Tumours is available for pre-order now.

2 comments:

google-site-verification: google0d3d5d05cce73118.html