Wednesday, 9 October 2013

Scream Engine

The Indifference Engine was an important book for me. It was my first experience of pitching live to a publisher (screamed at the top of my lungs in a crowded convention hall), resulted in my first meeting with the phenomenal Rob Carey (at high velocity on a staircase at another convention) and was the first book I'd written that had for-real Hollywood agents actually tracking me down to ask about the movie rights.

Crucially, it was a lot of fun to write. The Indifference Engine: A Holographic Novel charts the evolution of a committed nobody from career doormat to one-man genocide. For me, it was an exercise in torturing something essentially harmless to see if I could train it to bite. Also, as I'm generally wary of stories that "go home" neatly at the end, it leaves its world and characters in a very different state from the way it found them. Reviews tended to comment as much on the sanity of the creative team as the story itself, which is always particularly gratifying to me.

Introducing Indifference Engine 2: The Suicideshow:

Alan Blake, former mid-level programmer turned invulnerable murder machine, slaughters his way through a web of interconnected parallel realities. Blackmailed by an insane computer built out of his own brain matter, he is forced into destroying every single alternate version of himself - until one of his targets unwittingly presents a possible way out. It's his only chance of freedom, and all it will cost him is the future.

Indifference Engine 2 is coming out through Markosia with script from me, art by Russ Leach, colours by Michael Summers and letters by Nic Wilkinson. More when I have it, including information on the creative team - but for now, here's a deeply cool test sketch from Russ to kick things off:

No comments:

Post a Comment

google-site-verification: google0d3d5d05cce73118.html